IF YOU’RE NOT MAKING ANY DIFFERENCE AT YOUR PLACE OF WORK, IT’S ALMOST AS GOOD AS STEALING THE SALARY
MAN WAS NOT CREATED TO BE LAZY. MAN WAS CREATED FOR WORK
WORK IS NOT A CURSE, IT IS SWEATING WITHOUT RESULT THAT IS A CURSE
IF YOU ARE EMPLOYED AND YOU’RE NOT PUTTING IN YOUR POTENTIAl, ENGAGING YOUR WISDOM, SKILL AND YOUR LEARNING INTO IT, YOU’RE NOT WORKING
THE MAIN PURPOSE OF WORK IS NOT JUST THE ACHIEVEMENT OF SALARY BUT THE MAKING OF DIFFERENCE
– Dr. Pastor Paul Enenche on “KNOW YOUR WORK (ASSIGNMENT)” Power Communion (Midweek) Service Glory Dome, Abuja – Part A.
I welcome everyone here tonight in the Precious name of Jesus. One of the most important messages you have listened to is one of those you would be listening to tonight.
In this month, God is showing us the things we would know in order to rise and shine. What are the things we need to know?
1. To know our God.
2. To know ourselves.
Today, we want to know our work. Know your work (assignment). Proverbs 22:29. Our objective tonight is to understand work and life’s assignments.
Anything we need to understand regarding work and life’s work. By way of introduction, it’s important to note that man was not created to be lazy. Man was created for work.
God is the originator of work. Work is not a curse, it is sweating without result that is a curse. Genesis 2:8.
Now, we look through Scripture and we understand that God is a worker. Genesis 2:2. Jesus is a worker. John 5:17. So, we have seen the Father working and the Son working.
Thirdly, the Holy Spirit is a worker. Galatians 3:5. 1 Corinthians 12:4-6. God is a worker, Jesus is a worker, the Holy Spirit and man is required to work. Genesis 2:15. Ecclesiastes 9:10. 1 Thessalonians 4:11.
God requires us to work.
– somebody say Amen.
Question is, what is work? I have five definitions for work.
1. One is from the Oxford dictionary and that says, “work is every activity involving mental or physical effort in order to achieve results”. Whatever you put your mind and physical energy to do that is going to bring you results is called work.
2. Work is the engagement of life’s time, energy and ability for results and rewards. That is, you give your time, 7-8 hours a day, you gave your energy and your abilities, the different things you could do, you gave it to get results and rewards. At the end of the day, they paid you salary.
3. Work is any endeavour or activity that constitutes livelihood or income source. In other words, what you do with your life for a living.
I’m going to more revolutionary definitions.
4. Work is that channel for the expression of life’s potential, wisdom, skill or learning. Anything you do to cause you to express your potential, wisdom, skill or workmanship and your learning – what you learnt in school or studied – is called work.
So, if they are paying you salary every month and you’re not putting in your potential, not engaging your wisdom, skill and not putting in what you learnt, you’re not working.
5. Work is the avenue for difference making, solution provision, change creation and contribution offering.
Work is what you do to make a difference in the organization or the society where you’re doing it; to provide solution where solution is needed; to create change where changed is needed and to offer your contribution. That was what Joseph, Daniel and David did.
So, if you claim to be working or you’re employed in a job somewhere and you’re not making any difference, you’re not providing any solution and not creating a change – nothing is changing because you’re there, and you’re offering no contribution, just consuming salary, you’re not working.
Quickly, let’s take note of two things about work.
1. Work can be regular or official engagement or non-regular, unofficial involvement as in self-employment. Because many people think that until government gives them an employment letter, they don’t have a job. Many people think that until a private organization hands them an employment letter, they do not have a work.
In those days, 20-30 years ago, when you ask some Pastors, “what work do you do? Where are you working?” They will say, “I’m not working. I’m Pastoring” and that was a terrible thing to say because it is not possible for you to work and you’re not aware.
2. The main purpose of work is not just the achievement of salary but the making of difference.
Salary would come along the line but it is not just the achievement of salary but the making of a difference. If you’re not making any difference, it’s almost as good as stealing the salary.