Work and Study Eligibility requirements in Canada


Eligibility Requirement to Work and Study in Canada.

As an international student, I am working on campus. If you possess a valid study permit, you can work on campus without a work permit while pursuing your education.

• Have a Social Security Number;

• Be a full-time student at a Designated Learning Institution or at an institution at a Canadian private school accredited to award degrees, and • have a Social Security Number.

Canada’s Off-Campus Employment Opportunities
You will be able to work off-campus without a work permit while studying in Canada if you:

• Have a study permit;

• Are a full-time student at a designated learning institution (or a post-secondary school);

• Are only permitted to work a maximum of twenty hours per week during academic sessions (Although there has been a recent development as students can now work more hours) but full-time during scheduled breaks such as the winter holidays.


Co-op and internship requirements are included in some academic programs. In this case, a work permit is necessary for the international student to complete the work.

Co-op and Internship Students’ Work Permits
There is an exception to the rule that international students in Canada may work without a separate work permit. Some study programs require international students to complete a Co-op or internship work placement to complete the program of study. In this case, you need a Co-op work permit and your student visa.

To obtain a Co-op work permit, you must have a valid study permit and a letter from your school stating that all students in your program must complete work placements to graduate. The Co-op work permit can be issued alongside the student’s study permit. Suppose your acceptance letter indicates that a Co-op or internship placement is required as part of your program of study.

In that case, your work permit application may be processed concurrently with your study permit application.

After obtaining your study permit, it is possible to apply for a Co-op work permit online or on paper. Your school should be able to assist you with this, as the internship is a required component of your course of study. They likely assist many students each year with the application process.

Eligibility Requirement to Work and Study in Canada
Eligibility Requirement to Work and Study in Canada

Work and study eligibility requirements in Canada
International students in Canada who hold a study permit and are enrolled full-time in a DLI may work off-campus without a work permit. This means you can work for any Canadian employer in any occupation, anywhere in the country. Optionally, you may work on campus.
Working off-campus is defined as working for any Canadian employer outside the institution. Working on campus refers to working for any employer on the school’s campus, such as the university, a faculty member (as a research assistant, for example), or a private contractor providing services on campus, such as a gym or restaurant.

It is important to note that even if you intend to work while studying in Canada, you will still be required to provide proof of sufficient financial resources when applying for a study permit.
This means you must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself without a job during your studies. Future earnings estimates will not be accepted when demonstrating adequate financial resources, so the fact that you intend to work while studying will only satisfy the requirement to demonstrate financial capability after arrival.



Your study permit will indicate whether or not you are permitted to work in Canada and the terms of employment. This enables you to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada; obtaining a SIN is a crucial prerequisite before you can begin working in Canada while you are a student.
Suppose your study permit does not contain the statement required to apply for a Social Insurance Number. In that case, you can have it corrected for free.

Although this can be done after your arrival, it is preferable to do so immediately upon your arrival and the issuance of your study permit. Suppose you need clarification on the information on your study permit. In that case, you can inquire with the immigration officer at the port of entry about your employment authorization.

If your study program is less than six months, you are prohibited from working in Canada unless you have authorization. Or if you are enrolled in a program for French as a Second Language (FSL) or English as a Second Language (ESL). Visiting or exchange students at a Canadian university or college are also prohibited from working during their studies. You must note that you can begin working while studying in Canada once your program begins.



Canada post-study employment
You may be required to immediately cease working in Canada upon completing your studies. However, there are additional options for continuing to work under altered conditions.
Suppose you wish to remain and work in Canada. In that case, you can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which will allow you to work for any employer, anywhere in Canada, for up to three years following your graduation. Suppose you are qualified and wish to remain and work in Canada. In that case, you must apply within ninety days of receiving written confirmation that you have completed your program of study.


Leave a Comment